@PGFDPIO Twitter

Monday, September 22, 2014

Volunteer Fire & Rescue Association 2014 - 2015 OFFICERS ELECTED

Charles W. Walker, President 2014 - 2015
Charles W. Walker, President 2014 - 2015


2014 - 2015 OFFICERS ELECTED
 Email Print PDF RSS
By Member Brenda Sarmiento
September 20, 2014

On Friday, September 19, 2014, during Convention in Brentwood, the following Officers were elected to serve one-year terms for the Prince George's County Volunteer Fire and Rescue Association:

Charles W. "Chuck" Walker - President

Steven M. King - 1st Vice President


Hilmer Porter - 2nd Vice President


Margie Dickey - Secretary

Joan Robison - Treasurer

John Hughes - District 1 Board Member

Richard Melito - District 2 Board Member

Glenn Locker - District 3 Board Member

Mark Trader - District 4 Board Member

Tony Hall - District 5 Board Member

Charles Phillips - District 6 Board Member

Warren Litchfield - Chief Chaplain

Harry Hetz - Chaplain

Jim Neal - Chaplain

Elaine Huttenloch - Chaplain


Congratulations to all of our elected officers! We are wishing you all a very successful year.


Friday, September 19, 2014

Dedication and Housing Ceremony for our Newest Pink and Lavender Fire Engine

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

The new name for the pumper will be announced at this event.

You still have time to submit your suggestion.

Use Twitter with hash-tag #PGFDPINK to @PGFDPIO

or email at PGFDPIO@co.pg.md.us

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Annual Heats On – Waters Off Program September 20th

Prince George's County: Subscribe MyPGC
Annual Heats On – Waters Off Program September 20th
For immediate release: 9/18/2014 4:15:00 AM

For more information, contact: Jermoni Dowd, 240-691-8409

Local Mechanical Service Contractors to Provide Free Home Heating and Plumbing Inspections to Elderly and Disabled Homeowners



Camp Springs, MD – On Saturday, September 20, 2014, the Annual “Heats On – Waters Off” program will provide preventive maintenance to heating and plumbing equipment to senior citizens and persons with disabilities who may have difficulty paying for such services.  The one-day project will assist twenty-three homeowners who may be running inefficient, faulty or hazardous equipment.  The Prince George’s County Fire Department will also be visiting homes to check smoke detectors and provide carbon monoxide detectors.

“We sincerely appreciate this partnership with the Mechanical Contractors Association of Metropolitan Washington, its partners, and the Prince George’s County Fire Department,” says Department of Family Services Acting Director, Theresa Grant.  “You cannot imagine the impact you have when you go into a senior’s home and assist them with plumbing and heating which supports their ability to remain in their own homes.”

“The Heats On – Waters Off” program involves the joint voluntary efforts of the Prince Georges’ County Department of Family Services and the Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department; as well as the local Steamfitters Union, Plumbers Union, and local Service Contractors Bureau members.

“There is a lot of skilled labor in our community,” says Prince George’s Fire Chief Marc Bashoor. 
“Heat’s On – Water’s Off’ is a great collaborative effort that assists homeowners who may be running inefficient, faulty or hazardous equipment.  Neighbors helping neighbors is what this project is all about.”

“Heats On – Waters Off” will begin on Saturday morning, with a kick-off breakfast at the Mechanical Trade School in Landover, MD.


NOTICE TO MEDIA:Heat’s On – Water’s Off has designated the home of 3200 Kimberly Road in Hyattsville, MD, as the place where reporters may conduct interviews, take photographs and gather news footage.  The home will be open from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. for this purpose. For more information contact Jermoni Dowd at (240) 691-8409.


WHO:Prince George’s County Dept. of Family Services Aging Services Division;
Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department;
Mechanical Contractors Association of Metropolitan Washington;
Steamfitters Local 602;
Plumbers Local 5;


WHAT:“Heats On – Waters Off” Program


WHERE:Kickoff Breakfast @ Mechanical Trade School
8509 Ardwick Ardmore Road
Landover, MD 20785



WHEN:Saturday, September 20, 2014
Kickoff Breakfast 6:30 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
Service Inspections  8:00 a.m. – 12Noon
Media Home: 8:30 a.m.

###
For more information please visit our website news page.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

MEDIA ADVISORY - PGFD to Host 2 Dozen FDNY and Wounded Warriors Prior to Visit at NCMC

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO


Visits to the National Children's Medical Center (NCMC) by those hoping to brighten the day of patients is always a heartwarming event.  Perhaps these visits benefit those bearing gifts more than that of the patients but these events are beneficial to everyone involved.  Members of the Prince George's County Fire/Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Department have offered our assistance to a deserving group that is scheduled to make such a visit.

On Friday, September 19, the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department will host about 2 dozen Firefighters from New York City (FDNY) and Wounded Warriors.  The contingent is scheduled to visit the NCMC around 1:30 pm the same day.  The Fire/EMS Department wanted to provide some relief and assistance to this group that are providing support and comfort to others.

The group will arrive at the St. Joseph Fire/EMS Station in Springdale at around 12 noon on Friday.  They will be greeted by Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor and dozens of members of the Department.  FDNY and Wounded Warriors will be treated to a traditional firehouse lunch and a tour of the facility before being chauffeured in two department vans to NCMC to help avoid any travel and parking problems in DC.  After the visit they will return to St. Josephs Station before making their way to an overnight stay in Annapolis and plans to attend the Navy Football game on Saturday.

Members of the media are invited to attend the luncheon at the St. Joseph Fire/EMS Station.  The time line is tight however, photo ops and interviews will be made available.

WHAT:     Brief visit with FDNY and Wounded Warriors before visit to NCMC

WHEN:     Friday, September 19, 12 Noon (tight schedule) - set-up and cooking start at 10:00 am

WHERE:    St. Joseph Community Fire/EMS Station 2901 St. Joseph Drive, Springdale, MD
NOTE - Address not in GPS - Use 10001 Ardwick-Ardmore Rd - Station next to High School)

WHO:        About 2 dozen FDNY and Wounded Warriors, Fire Chief Bashoor and dozens of PGFD    


Tuesday, September 16, 2014

MEDIA ADVISORY - Graduation Ceremony of Career Recruit School #50

MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

Join Prince George's County Executive Rushern L. Baker, III and Fire Chief Marc S. Bashoor at the graduation ceremony of 38 recruit Firefighter/Medics (2 are members of Coast Guard). Career Recruit School #50 of the Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department will take their Oath of Office and receive their Certificate of Completion after nearly six months of extensive training.   The Fire/EMS Department Command Staff as well as recruits family and friends will be in attendance as well.

There will be numerous photo ops and interviews available.


Friday, September 12, 2014

Bladensburg Townhouse Fire Displaced Nearly 3 Dozen Residents


MEDIA CONTACT: Mark E. Brady, Chief Spokesperson, 240-508-7930
mebrady@co.pg.md.us     @PGFDPIO

A Bladensburg fire has displaced 34 residents and numerous pets from 6 town homes this afternoon.  At about 4:45 pm firefighters responded to the 5400 block of Doris Court in Bladensburg for a report of a townhouse on fire.  First arriving firefighters arrived and found a middle of the row 3-story townhouse with smoke and fire showing.  A 2nd Alarm was sounded bringing over 80 firefighters and paramedics to the scene.  It required about 40 minutes to knock down the fire, which left 4 town homes with significant fire damage.

It appears the fire started on the rear deck of one of the townhouses and extended up the rear exterior wall and into the roof area.  The fire extended vertically via the attics.  An outdoor barbecue grill was in use on the wooden deck when the fire started.

There were no injuries reported.  The cause of the fire is listed as accidental and attributed to careless cooking.  Fire loss is estimated at $750,000.

Cooking, both indoors and out, is the leading cause of fires and fire related injuries in Prince George’s County.  Remember to never leave food cooking unattended.  Ensure your grill is at least 10 feet away from anything combustible (30 feet for any multi-family dwelling).

The County Citizens Services Unit and the American Red Cross are assisting 24 adults and 10 children with temporary shelter.




German TV Asks PGFD for Help on Reporting of Chemical Plant Explosion